obtained from Taste of Home, June/July 2006
Make and share this Door County Cherry Biscotti recipe from Food.com.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening, divided
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 4 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares
- Separate one egg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in remaining eggs and reserved egg yolk. Beat in extract.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Turn onto floured surface. Knead in cherries and almonds. Divide dough in half; spape each portion into a 12x3" rectangle. Transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Beat reserved egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350F for 28-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut each rectangle diagonally into 18 slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over both sides of biscotti. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Melt white chocolate and remaining 2 teaspoons shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over both sides of biscotti. Place on waxed paper; set stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
I just got done making these, so glad the recipe is on here. I will take a picture and post it as they turned out fabulous...i think next time though I will cut the dried cherries in half as mine were pretty big....
The taste is great, but I don't believe I let them cool long enough before slicing. I had a few broken pieces.. so I ate them! Yum, this recipe was in a cookbook my Grandma gave me for my 21st birthday.