Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from The Back Street Deli in Eagle, Wisconsin. Eagle is in Door County, and Door County is an area known for its wonderful cherries (and it is among the major producers of cherries in the U.S.)These are a delicious bar just as they are, but they are also great when you put 1/4-1/2 cup of white baking chips on top during the last 5 minutes of baking. Of course, the original recipe calls for Door County cherries, but any sweet cherry may be used (they suggest Bing).
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cherries, frozen (do not thaw)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter an 8 x 8" square baking pan.
- BOTTOM LAYER: Combine 1 cup of flour, the butter, and the confectioners' sugar in a bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pat mixture into the prepared pan with fingers, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- TOP LAYER (THIS SHOULD BE MADE WHILE THE BOTTOM LAYER IS IN THE OVEN): In a small bowl, toss frozen cherries with vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, slightly beat the eggs.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until they are thick and light.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl and stir with a spoon until blended.
- Stir in the walnuts and cherry-vanilla mixture.
- Immediately spread the cherry mixture over the hot bottom layer and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bars are a deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack before serving.
These cherry bars are very impressive to look at, and I love the fact that the recipe calls for real cherries rather than pie filling. As written, I thought they weren't quite sweet enough. I imagine they'd be fantastic with white chocolate on top as suggested in the recipe note. Next time, I'll increase the sugar to 1 cup, and drizzle with a white chocolate ganache. Thanks very much!
This is the best cherry bar ever! I used marschino cherries once and it was just as good!
I forgot to rate it! Sorry!