Recipe by Denibates
This is my knock-off recipe from a little restaurant in Lexington, Kentucky called Doodles. They make the best hot dog in the city! I like mine blackened, but suit yourself...
Top Review by loof
Quite a tasty hot dog you've got here! I let my sugared side get a little blackened as you suggested and it had almost a bacon-like flavor. Simply topped with a little ketchup and enjoyed a great lunch - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2012
- 1 lb dearborn beef frank (8 dogs)
- 8 teaspoons brown sugar
- 8 hoagie rolls or 8 bread, of choice
- cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Split franks but don't cut all the way through. Open to make them flat. Sprinkle brown sugar over them, one teaspoon per dog.
- Spray cooking spray in a non-stick skillet, and cook franks first on the "rounded" side, and then flip to the "flattened and sugared" side. (This is where I like to allow mine to get a little blackened.).
- Meanwhile, open buns, careful not to break, and brush each inner-side of buns with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Broil until butter is melted and buns are a little toasted.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy the best hot dog you'll ever eat!