Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This a good tuna casserole that I got from an old Southern Living cookbook. Prep time is approximate. Cook time does not include stove top heating.
- 1 (5 ounce) package noodles
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup slivered blanched toasted almond
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Combine noodles and tuna; add mayonnaise, all the chopped vegetables and the salt.
- Blend in the soup and the milk and stir well.
- Heat on top of range and add the cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Spoon into a 1 1/2 quart casserole; top with almonds.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
I'd give it a solid 3 1/2 and dd (age 6) gives it a 5,5,5,5!! I did have to make a few substitutions; no green pepper, used cream of mushroom soup and used bread crumbs for topping. It is a unusal cross of a tuna salad (veggies and mayo) meets tuna casserole (noodles and soup)...but it works! Dh turned his nose up at the sight of the ingredients he didn't like - but don't take him into account! DD wants this for lunch at school tomorrow and it's also going in my lunch. I LOVED the pimientos in it...but I think pimientos are tiny unsung heros!