Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This Pre-1940's recipe is included in my “Grandma’s Wartime Edition Cookbook”
Make and share this Donuts (Sweet Milk) Pre-1940's recipe from Food.com.
- Cream Fat, add sugar, add milk and well beaten eggs.
- Add 3 cups flour mixed and sifted with dry ingredients, then more flour to make dough just stiff enough to roll.
- With knife, toss about 1/3 of the dough on lightly floured board, knead slightly to make smooth.
- Roll thickness to about 1/2 inch.
- Use floured spatula freely to prevent dough from sticking to board.
- Cut with floured doghnut cutter.
- Fry in deep fat about 2 minutes, they should come quickly to the top.
- Brown on one side then brown on the other side. Turn but once.
- Drain over fat and then on absorbent paper.
- When partly cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar.
They tasted great, but they were a little greasy. I will try them another time, but bake them in a 400 degree oven. If anyone else wants to try this and post it, please do so!