My Granny's banana pudding - the only one that's worth me spending the calories on! As the recipe title suggests, I won't touch the kind made with instant banana pudding - and don't give me anything with meringue on it, either...this doesn't last much more than a day around here. Chilling time is not included in time estimates.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and flour; add milk and beaten egg - whisk to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla.
- Cool completely.
- Stir sour cream into pudding.
- Layer in this manner; 1/2 of the wafers, 1/2 of the bananas, 1/2 of the pudding, and 1/2 of the cool whip.
- Repeat layers.
- Refrigerate approximately 8 hours or overnight before serving.