Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick and easy recipe for really hearty homemade soup that you don't have to wait until the weekend to make. Adding the cream of mushroom soup makes it a thick and creamy "stoup", but can be omitted for a more traditional soup. Can be garnished with a little shredded cheese and seasoned croutons, served with cornbread or crusty rolls. Yummy! This recipe makes a large pot to serve a big family or leaves enough to freeze for later.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansstewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 (11 ounce) cans canned corn niblets
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) packagefrozen soup vegetables
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package beef stew seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Heat oil in soup pot or large Dutch oven.
- Add onion and cook until almost tender.
- Add ground beef, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Brown ground beef, adding sliced mushrooms about halfway through.
- Once meat is thoroughly browned, drain off any excess fat.
- Mix stew seasoning with beef broth and add to pot.
- Add stewed tomatoes, Niblets corn and bring to a boil.
- Add frozen soup vegetables and dried basil and bring to a simmer, cover.
- For traditional soup, simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender (checking the carrots will be a good gauge). OR.
- For thicker, creamer "stoup", simmer for 15 minutes, then stir in cream of mushroom soup. Return to a simmer to heat through or until vegetables are tender (checking the carrots will be a good gauge).