Recipe by Darlene Summers
I have eaten this dish many times, but have not made it. It is delicious. I have been thinking of doing it in the crockpot and see if it is as good, but have not yet.
- 2 lbs stewing beef (cubed)
- 5 medium potatoes (cut into large cubes)
- 6 carrots, cleaned and sliced round
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart tomato juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large Dutch oven, put in the beef first--this is the first layer.
- The 2nd layer is carrots.
- The 3rd layer is celery.
- The 4th layer is onions.
- Then combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Combine dry ingredients with tomato juice.
- Pour this mixture over the meat and veggies.
- Cover with lid or foil.
- Bake 5 hours at 200 degrees.
- The secret is the slow baking and not peeking.
- DON'T PEEK!