Recipe by MizzNezz
Yes, this cake is made with beets! And you won't believe how great it is. I got the recipe from a friend who said it is the most requested cake in her family. Even the kids want it for their birthday cake. I baked it for one of our family gatherings and now, I get lots of requests for it too. The batter looks red, but the red bakes out. I use an almond flavored frosting on it sometimes. Other times I just serve it with homemade whipped cream.
Top Review by Girl from India
Wonderful!!!! I am always trying to make something new. I thought this was the perfect b'day cake for my MIL (I was in charge of baking it for her b'day) It was out of this world. I will definitely make it again. The only thing I did different was add the zest of one lemon and use one cup of whole wheat flour with 1 cup of plain flour. This is definitely a keeper and I thank you for the wonderful addition to future birthdays. Cheers! Fay Almeida
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups shredded fresh beets
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 °, grease and flour 13x9 baking pan.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Add vanilla, beets and walnuts.
- Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Pour into pan, bake for 45 minutes, or until a pick comes out clean.