1 hr 20 mins
This is a firm favourite in our household - warming on a cold night but not so heavy we can't have it in warmer weather either. We serve with plain couscous. We always have this with chicken but you can also easily substitute 500 g of cubed lamb shoulder or chuck steak or a second 400g can of chickpeas. It helps to have everything chopped and ready to go as this comes together fairly quickly before simmering. It look like a lot of ingredients but most if not all items should be in your pantry or fridge or not hard to get. From The Don't Go Hungry Diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 medium brown onions or 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green capsicum or 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 20 ml tomato paste
- 1 medium potato, coarsely chopped
- 2 small carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 750 ml water
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- lemon wedge, to serve
- 1Heat half the oil in a large casserole pan (I use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Brown meat (if using) in batches and remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan. Add onion, capsicum and garlic and cook until onion has softened, stirring often.
- 3Add spices and cook while stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 4Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (you may need to lower the heat to prevent burning. Don't worry if it sticks to the pan though).
- 5Add potato, carrot and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 6Add browned meat back into pan along with chickpeas, tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour (uncovered).
- 7Remove from heat. Stir through herbs and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- 8Serve with couscous and lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Don't Go Hungry Chicken/Lamb/Beef/Vegetarian Stew
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.7
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 103.7 mg
- Sodium 620.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 34.5 g