Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a firm favourite in our household - warming on a cold night but not so heavy we can't have it in warmer weather either. We serve with plain couscous. We always have this with chicken but you can also easily substitute 500 g of cubed lamb shoulder or chuck steak or a second 400g can of chickpeas. It helps to have everything chopped and ready to go as this comes together fairly quickly before simmering. It look like a lot of ingredients but most if not all items should be in your pantry or fridge or not hard to get. From The Don't Go Hungry Diet.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 medium brown onions or 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green capsicum or 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 20 ml tomato paste
- 1 medium potato, coarsely chopped
- 2 small carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 750 ml water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- lemon wedge, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large casserole pan (I use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Brown meat (if using) in batches and remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan. Add onion, capsicum and garlic and cook until onion has softened, stirring often.
- Add spices and cook while stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (you may need to lower the heat to prevent burning. Don't worry if it sticks to the pan though).
- Add potato, carrot and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add browned meat back into pan along with chickpeas, tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour (uncovered).
- Remove from heat. Stir through herbs and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with couscous and lemon wedges.