Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From the Recipe Hall of Fame Cookbook II. Preparation time includes standing time.
Top Review by regina rose
I also use Italian sausage and like the other reviews I too love-love-love this recipe.I'm always asked for the recipe whenever I serve this to guests.I reply with #178905 on the zaar. thanx for a wonderful recipe!!!!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups tomato juice, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups ricotta cheese or 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, brown meat with and garlic.
- Drain well.
- Stir in 2 c tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings.
- Simmer while preparing filling.
- In large bowl, combine 2 c mozzarell cheese, ricotta cheese, spinach, eggs and grated cheese.
- Mix well.
- Stuff dry pasta shells with cheese mixture.
- Arrange in a greased 9x13" baking dish.
- Spoon meat sauce evenly over shells.
- Pour remaining tomato juice on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove foil and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.