Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Does the world need another chocolate cake recipe? Maybe! Passed on by my friend Dini, this is a big cake that stays moist and serves her many wonderful children plus some. Fabulous plain, with icing sugar sprinkled or a pareve chocolate "cream-cheese" frosting made with Tofutti cream cheese.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups strong hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Beat eggs and oil together in large bowl with electric mixer.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat until well-mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cocoa together.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to large bowl with liquids, scraping down occasionally, until evenly moistened.
- Slowly add coffee, pouring over the mixture. It may splash / splatter initially - that's why you're using a big bowl - but will gradually take on a nice, smooth consistency.
- Pour mixture into a greased, 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350* until cake tests clean with skewer or knife.