Recipe by Happy Harry #2
Sooo tired of high cost, sodium-laded deli meats....AND when used in a sandwich, the taste is masked by the other ingredients. Now I have come up with a sure-fire winner to replace them! Cooking time does not include roasting garlic or fridge time.
- 2 lbs skinless boneless turkey breasts, ground
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and grated
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup matzo meal (may use other type cracker, NO flour!)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper, fresh ground
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons milk (may replace with vegetable broth)
- 6 -10 cloves roasted garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, vinegar, milk, and oil till foamy.
- In another large bowl, mix garlic, salt and pepper. Mash garlic until smooth.
- Add carrot, onion, and turkey to garlic; combine well, making sure garlic it distributed evenly.
- Add egg mixture, folding lightly until blended.
- Very lightly spray 8X4X2 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Lightly pack mixture into loaf pan until top. Smooth top.
- Bake 45 minutes on middle oven shelf. Turn oven to broil and brown top. Watch carefully so not to burn.
- Any leftover meat mixture can be made into small balls and roasted along with loaf. Baking time for them depends on size of ball.
- Cool loaf until pan is just warm. Remove and wrap in foil; chill 8 - 10 hours or overnight.
- Slice thinly with serrated knife and freeze small portions in freezer bags or all slices in one bag with wax paper between slices.
- Can make sandwiches with frozen meat which will be thawed by lunchtime.
- Additions of other finely grated vegetables can be used but be careful not to overdo or the texture may change.
- This loaf is perfect for OAMC. I usually triple my recipe and make 3 loaves leaving two frozen unsliced.