Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my husband's favorite French Onion Soup. It's really quick and simple. Better yet, he doesn't know that the recipe is from a book named Quick and Healthy (wink).
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- Mix first 3 ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Divide soup into 6 ovenproof bowls.
- Top each with a slice of toasted French bread and 1/2 ounce of cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted.
Definitely a five star. Easy, quick and tastee. I only had two bowls that were oven safe so I cut to two servings. I used the instant beef bullion with 2 1/2 cups of water. I used red onion and added 1/3 stalk of celery, and a pinch of dried basil. Wow! I served it with additional french bread grilled with butter and sprinkled Tone's Garlic-Herb seasoning. My wife doesn't say wow often except with our 10 month old grandson. She said "Wow!" twice.
Don in Colorado
Don picked a great soup! This was ridiculously easy to put together and tasted great. I had to simmer the onions for a bit longer to soften them up a bit more. I used a baguette so 3 slices worked perfectly. And the fresh mozzarella melted on top was terrific. YUMMMMMMY! Made for Went to the Market tag game. Thanks lazyme! :)