Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
My Dad just loves Buckwheat Cakes and when he lived in Canada ate them all the time, the problem in New Zealand for a long time you couldn't buy Buckwheat flour, well now you can!! He looked at about five different recipes on Zaar and has come up with this one. He made it for breakfast the other morning and this was so good served with Maple Syrup with a sprinkling of lemon juice. Just supurb, hope everyone else likes them just as much as we did
- 1⁄2 cup of highgrade flour (white)
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted clarified butter
- In a mixing bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl lightly beat eggs and mix in buttermilk and clarified butter.
- Fold egg mixture into dry ingredients and blend well, if you think this is a little thick add a little more buttermilk to thin out.
- Grease heated skillet or frying pan with clarified butter till smoking.
- Spread out batter over skillet with back of large spoon.
- Turn as soon as they are puffed and full of bubbles.
- Cook other side till browned.
- Serve piping hot with Maple syrup and a little lemon squeezed over the top.