Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found in Dierberg's Holiday Idea Book. Originally from Donna Middleton.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, beat the 1 1/2 cups sugar and butter at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Use tip of knife to scrape seeds into mixture.
- Add vanilla extract. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined.
- Place granulated sugar in small bowl. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, each about a tablespoon.
- Place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake in oven until set but very light in color, about 8 to 10 minutes. (Do not bake until golden brown or cookies will not be soft and chewy.).
- Cool on wire racks and store in airtight container.