Recipe by Joe and Julie McDonnell
I got this recipe from my Mother-in-Law years ago, and we make it regularly. This recipe is a double and we always make a freezer meal. It also reheats well so you can take it for lunches.
- 1 lb ground meat (I like 93%/7% ground turkey)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black olives (drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can mexicorn
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch style beans (I like black)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large stock pot, brown meat with onion and bell pepper. Stir in seasonings and canned ingredients. DO NOT DRAIN CANS except mushrooms and olives.
- Leave to simmer on medium heat while preparing corn bread. Per my MIL's experience, add nearly twice the milk the package calls for, then spread a very thin layer of batter along the bottom of two 9x13 baking dishes.
- Dump in the contents of the stock pot, layer on the shredded cheese, then top with the remaining corn bread batter. Bake until corn bread is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Eat one today, freeze the other for later.
- ALTERNATIVE: Mix ingredients together and leave out the cornbread for an amazing chili/soup! We did this for the first time today and it was very good.