Joe and Julie McDonnell's Note:
I got this recipe from my Mother-in-Law years ago, and we make it regularly. This recipe is a double and we always make a freezer meal. It also reheats well so you can take it for lunches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground meat (I like 93%/7% ground turkey)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black olives (drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can mexicorn
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch style beans (I like black)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In large stock pot, brown meat with onion and bell pepper. Stir in seasonings and canned ingredients. DO NOT DRAIN CANS except mushrooms and olives.
- 3Leave to simmer on medium heat while preparing corn bread. Per my MIL's experience, add nearly twice the milk the package calls for, then spread a very thin layer of batter along the bottom of two 9x13 baking dishes.
- 4Dump in the contents of the stock pot, layer on the shredded cheese, then top with the remaining corn bread batter. Bake until corn bread is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- 5Eat one today, freeze the other for later.
- 6ALTERNATIVE: Mix ingredients together and leave out the cornbread for an amazing chili/soup! We did this for the first time today and it was very good.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Donna's Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.7
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 371.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: