Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My friend Donna makes the best meatloaf ever. The amount of chili powder seems excessive, but it really tastes great. You can use 1 tbsp if you are fearful, but believe me - it tastes better with the amount given if you use Spice Islands brand. If your brand is very strong, cut the amount in half. Here is her recipe.
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 16 ounces canned creamed corn
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped into about 1 inch chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, in 1/2 inch dice
- 3 -4 slices white bread, crusts removed & torn into small pieces (I use a very soft white bread for this)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, for meat mixture
- 4 teaspoons chili powder (I use Spice Islands)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup, for topping
- Mix creamed corn, eggs, chili powder, 1/2 cup ketchup, salt, pepper and bread together. Let sit while mixing meat, onion, tomato & bell pepper in large bowl.
- Add corn mixture to meat mixture.
- Form into a large rectangular mound, about 2 to 3 inches high on a baking sheet with sides, to avoid dripping in oven.
- Top with 3/4 cup ketchup.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through and lightly browned.
This was a great weeknight meal! It went together easy and is another meatloaf recipe that I'll make again. I'm always looking for new recipes. I didn't have any tomato, so I just left that out. Thank you for the great dinner!