Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Delicious comfort food full of vitamins and high in protein and fiber!
Make and share this Donna's Italian Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 lb raw boneless chicken breast, diced
- 3 medium diced potatoes
- 3 medium diced onions
- 3 medium diced carrots
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 16 ounces canned butter beans
- 15 ounces canned black beans
- 16 ounces canned light red kidney beans
- 16 ounces canned navy beans
- 15 7⁄8 ounces canned black-eyed peas
- 16 ounces canned chick-peas or 16 ounces garbanzo beans
- 15 ounces canned Veg-All or 15 ounces mixed vegetables
- 32 ounces canned Italian-style diced tomatoes or 32 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 10 ounces canned of ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup instant barley
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices or 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- In a large stock pot mix chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med.and add all the spices except for the sugar.
- Next add the raw diced chicken and cook chicken till tender.
- When chicken is tender, remove it from the broth and set aside.
- To the broth add the raw potatoes, carrots, onions and the celery; cook till tender.
- Next add the tomato sauce , paste, Tabasco and the sugar to the soup and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile drain all the canned vegetables and lightly rinse off any extra juices or starch in a colander or strainer. Set drained vegetables aside.
- Next add the Instant barley, all diced tomatoes, the drained beans and mixed vegetables to the soup.
- Continue to cook the soup for a 1/2 hour or so on low to medium heat and then, add the cooked diced chicken back to the pot.
- Cook for another 1/2 hour and serve.
- I serve this delicious soup with crackers, cornbread or muffins, or sometimes we have a grilled cheese sandwich with it. Enjoy.