Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious comfort food full of vitamins and high in protein and fiber!
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 lb raw boneless chicken breast, diced
- 3 medium diced potatoes
- 3 medium diced onions
- 3 medium diced carrots
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 16 ounces canned butter beans
- 15 ounces canned black beans
- 16 ounces canned light red kidney beans
- 16 ounces canned navy beans
- 15 7⁄8 ounces canned black-eyed peas
- 16 ounces canned chick-peas or 16 ounces garbanzo beans
- 15 ounces canned Veg-All or 15 ounces mixed vegetables
- 32 ounces canned Italian-style diced tomatoes or 32 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 10 ounces canned of ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup instant barley
- 12 ounces canned tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices or 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- In a large stock pot mix chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med.and add all the spices except for the sugar.
- Next add the raw diced chicken and cook chicken till tender.
- When chicken is tender, remove it from the broth and set aside.
- To the broth add the raw potatoes, carrots, onions and the celery; cook till tender.
- Next add the tomato sauce , paste, Tabasco and the sugar to the soup and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile drain all the canned vegetables and lightly rinse off any extra juices or starch in a colander or strainer. Set drained vegetables aside.
- Next add the Instant barley, all diced tomatoes, the drained beans and mixed vegetables to the soup.
- Continue to cook the soup for a 1/2 hour or so on low to medium heat and then, add the cooked diced chicken back to the pot.
- Cook for another 1/2 hour and serve.
- I serve this delicious soup with crackers, cornbread or muffins, or sometimes we have a grilled cheese sandwich with it. Enjoy.