Recipe by amydaigs
Recipe from my mother-in-law. Always a hit at parties...I make it especially in the winter months. It's like chili except sweet instead of spicy. My mil uses 1 cup chopped celery instead of green bell pepper, but I prefer the green bell pepper. I'm guessing on the number of servings. It makes a huge pot of beans, but I've never actually counted out servings, so it might actually end up being more servings than what I've listed.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 3 cups onions, minced
- 3 cups green bell peppers, diced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans with molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fry bacon and set aside.
- In the same pan, brown the ground beef.
- Add the onion and green pepper, cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in the boiling water.
- Stir all ingredients except the bacon together in a large dutch oven.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Crumble bacon on top and serve hot.