Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
DonnaLee was one of my American neighbors when I lived in Germany. She served this a lot with brunch after church on Sundays. DonnaLee does not usually add salt and pepper, but I do. I usually omit the bacon grease and sometimes even omit the bacon. All of the measurements are very much to taste, even the amount of potatoes- I just sprinkle enough herbs on to my liking and add enough potatoes to fill my pan.
- 6 -8 red potatoes, approximately
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup frozen carrots, diced,cooked
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried oregano, to taste
- 2 -3 teaspoons minced parsley, to taste
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried basil, to taste
- 5 -6 slices bacon, freshly cooked,crumbled
- 2 teaspoons reserved bacon fat (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Set out a 9x13" glass casserole pan and grease lightly with some of the olive oil.
- Dice raw potatoes (skin on or off- your choice) and place in the pan- you want to have enough pototoes to fill the bottom of the casserole.
- Sprinkle cooked peas& carrots over the potatoes.
- Press the garlic over the pan, crushing the garlic over the veggies.
- Liberally coat veggies with a few spoonfuls of olive oil and toss to mix everything together- the veggies should be well coated, but there shouldn't be a lot of loose oil in the pan.
- Sprinkle with oregano, basil, parsley to taste- you want to see little speckles of herbs on every piece of veggie.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumble bacon over the top and drizzle with a small amount of reserved bacon fat, if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 1 hour, uncovered, until vegetables are fork tender.
I love the convenience of oven dishes, and this side dish did not disappoint. It's very good. The bacon, herbs and garlic made for very tasty potatoes. I didn't have frozen carrots, so I boiled a couple of diced carrots for a few minutes before adding to the potatoes and peas. Definitely a winner.
This is the kind of dish I don't mind having as leftovers, so even though there were just 2 of us, I made the whole thing! Pretty much followed your recipe, but use fresh carrots & diced them before adding them (uncooked), along with the thawed frozen peas, to the potatoes! Also used some Hormel Real Bacon Pieces so had no bacon grease which was also fine with me! All for a very delicious side of vegetables from a recipe that I'll be keeping around! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]
These were Great! My SIL couldn't get enough. I used baby carrots diced (I didn't pre cook them I let them roast along with the potatoes), I also ommited the frozen peas, we don't care for those. I will keep this recipe handy since we eat so many potatoes. I served them with the Aloha Chicken Wings and a side salad. Thanks for shareing HeatherFeather!