Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I lived in Germany, one of my neighbors liked to serve this quiche anytime she had guests over for brunch and for birthday party gatherings. She said she varies what she adds to the quiche each time, based on what veggies she feels like adding but this was the combination she used the first time I had this quiche. She uses her own homemade pie crust in this, but I have used both homemade and storebought pie crusts with success.
- 1 (9 inch) pie pastry
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil, for sauteeing, as needed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- 3 -4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon horseradish (using a household flatware teaspoon to measure)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Partially bake the pie pastry in a 9" pie plate (ungreased) for 5 minutes.
- Sautee a mixture of veggies in butter or oil until soft and tender but not mushy, seasoning them a bit to taste with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle a small amount of the cheese on the bottom of the pie pastry.
- Sprinkle the veggies over the cheese, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Combine eggs, cream, milk, as much salt & pepper as you like to add.
- Take an ordinary teaspoon from your flatware drawer (not ameasuring spoon) and take about 1/4 tsp ish and add to the egg mixture.
- Mix well and pour over the veggies and the cheese.
- Bake at 375 F for about 40 minutes or until set.