I found this on an Italian website and fell in love with it! I am a fan of Pasta e Fagioli and this is kind of similar, yet different. It makes a hearty soup; and last time I made it I wanted a thinner broth, so I added three 14.5 ounce cans of Chicken Broth and used DaVinci Gnocchi noodles instead of lasagna noodles. The fresh mozzarella is a must -- don't substitute shredded! You will fall in love!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups defatted chicken broth
- 2 cups italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup thin lasagna noodle
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
- In a large soup pot brown sausage over medium heat, add onion, celery, carrots and cook for five minutes.
- Add the mushroom and garlic and cook for five more minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the broth, chopped tomatoes and sauce bring to a boil and taste for seasoning.
- Break up the pasta and add to the soup, cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for a few minutes.
- To serve place mozzarella cheese in the bottom of the soup bowl pour prepared soup on top, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil.
- Serve with a crusty bread and salad.
FANTASTIC SOUP!!!!!!! Used a can of diced tomatoes as suggested by Kim127. Well actually I had to add 2 because I add a whole box (16 oz) of bowties, wasn't paying attention. I also had to add 4 cans broth. My DH was crazy about this soup. Served it with garlic bread and a nice glass of red wine. Made for a wonderful dinner.
Really yummy soup! DH and I both thought it was great. I did make a couple of substitutions. I used sweet Italian sausage in place of the hot, used bowtie pasta for the lasagna noodles and one can of petite diced tomatoes for the chopped tomatoes. Loved the mozzarella on the bottom and parmesan on top. We will be having this one again for sure!