Recipe by Cook4_6
I found this on an Italian website and fell in love with it! I am a fan of Pasta e Fagioli and this is kind of similar, yet different. It makes a hearty soup; and last time I made it I wanted a thinner broth, so I added three 14.5 ounce cans of Chicken Broth and used DaVinci Gnocchi noodles instead of lasagna noodles. The fresh mozzarella is a must -- don't substitute shredded! You will fall in love!
Top Review by slickchick
FANTASTIC SOUP!!!!!!! Used a can of diced tomatoes as suggested by Kim127. Well actually I had to add 2 because I add a whole box (16 oz) of bowties, wasn't paying attention. I also had to add 4 cans broth. My DH was crazy about this soup. Served it with garlic bread and a nice glass of red wine. Made for a wonderful dinner.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups defatted chicken broth
- 2 cups italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup thin lasagna noodle
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot brown sausage over medium heat, add onion, celery, carrots and cook for five minutes.
- Add the mushroom and garlic and cook for five more minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the broth, chopped tomatoes and sauce bring to a boil and taste for seasoning.
- Break up the pasta and add to the soup, cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for a few minutes.
- To serve place mozzarella cheese in the bottom of the soup bowl pour prepared soup on top, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil.
- Serve with a crusty bread and salad.