Recipe by Buster's friend
I love the texture of shredded tofu - it just makes it a different food from chunks or slices or crumbles. This can be made & fridged up to 2 days before serving. I would keep the peanuts separate & add at serving time to keep them crunchy. Found in the Washington Post who adapted from Lin-Liu's "Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China" (Harcourt, 2008).
Top Review by keohokalole
I had this salad at a buffet at the Sheraton in Honolulu a week ago. A few changes: their Chef slivered the raw ginger and left it in the salad, did not saute the peanuts, garlic, and ginger. Instead, use lightly salted peanuts or cashews such as purchased in the small can. May also add a bit of red shredded cabbage, suggests using oriental cucumber if available, and firm tofu, drained and slightly pressed on paper towels before shredding. Very authentic recipe, and very delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, unsalted
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 leek, white part only, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- szechuan peppercorns (optional)
- 4 slices gingerroot, 4 quarter-sized coins (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, plus
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces green cabbage, leaves stacked & cut into into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cucumber, cut into quarters lengthwise & cut into very thin slices (peeled or unpeeled, seeded or unseeded)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄4 lb tofu, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chinese black vinegar or 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put peanuts in medium skillet & heat using med-low heat for about 7 minutes, shaking them to avoid burning, until they are fragrant and visibly darkened. Cool completely. Coarsely chop them.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until you see oil shimmer. Add the leek, peppercorns and ginger root, if using, and garlic. Cook for 10 to 15 seconds, being careful not to let the leek or garlic burn. Remove from the heat and strain into a small heatproof bowl, discarding the solids. Let cool slightly.
- Combine the cabbage, cucumber, carrot, peanuts, bean sprouts, tofu, black vinegar, minced garlic, salt, sugar and the infused oil in a large bowl. Toss to mix well, then serve immediately.