Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I received this recipe from a friend in Ontario. The whole family loves them. Try to get your butcher to triple grind your ground beef. It will make for a smoother, more compact loaf.
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 300°°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Knead well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Shape into one or two tightly formed loaves.
- Place on a broiler pan and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Cool loaves .
- Slice into thin slabs. Meat can be frozen for future use.
- Combine canned milk, sugar and garlic powder in medium bowl.
- Beat until sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle vinegar in very slowly while continuing to beat.
- Dredge pita bread in water.
- Lightly fry pita bread in drippings from baked loaf.
- Mound slices of donair meat on pita bread.
- Top with sauce and your choice of chopped onions, diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
- Roll up and enjoy.