Recipe by ajena's kitchen
Found this recipe on the Reston Web, an online community forum. Don Pablos tortilla soup is something our entire family loves. This recipe looks very promising. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to post it here asap to keep it from getting lost.
Top Review by Oshannon
YUM! I've worked at DP's a few times over the years, and loved the soup. I am so glad to have found the recipe. This is so close to the real thing - I don't remember corn in the original - and hits the spot. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 chicken breast halves
- 1 gallon water
- 3 carrots (1/4 Sliced)
- 3 celery ribs (1/4 Sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (Chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (Minced)
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (Chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (Mild)
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup canned corn (Or Fresh)
- 1 (10 count) package corn tortillas
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese (Fancy Shred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and peppers in water for about 1-2 hours.
- Remove chicken and let cool. Add Rotel, cilantro, corn, and cumin to the pot. Stir well. Remove chicken from the bone and add to the pot. Add cream just to get color and thickness.
- Cut tortillas in strips and fry in peanut oil. Put tortillas in bottom of bowl, sprinkle with cheese and pour soup on top.