Recipe by Chocolatl
Dom DeLuise, who passed away on May 4, 2009, was not only a great comedian. He was also an excellent cook. Here is one of his recipes. You can use any kind of Italian sausage you prefer. Be sure not to cover the pan, or the vegetables will be steamed. Serve with hot Italian bread.
Top Review by rosie316
Made this delightful sandwich (served on hogie rolls). Love the peppers and onions (of course), but the addition of oregano to the Italian sausage and veggies put it above the norm. Thanks for sharing a family fav. Made for Suitcase Gourmets - Culinary Quest 2014.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large onions, cut in slivers
- 3 sweet red peppers, seeded and cut in strips
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut in strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce each sausage in several places and place in a heavy frying pan with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until well-browned.
- While sausages are cooking, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic and onion.
- Stir in peppers and oregano and cook until onions are lightly browned and the peppers are tender.