Prep2 hrs 30 mins
From an old German cookbook. Layers of gingerbread, black currant jelly, optional marchpane (almond paste) and gingerbread, all cut into small squares and glazed with dark chocolate. Have not tried it so far because I usually buy them (with marchpane). If you make them, let me know how it worked. - The measurement for cloves and cardamom is actually 1 tip of a knife each. I guessed the amount of almond paste needed as well as the prep time. Posted at a forum request.
For the Dough
- 3⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 small eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups flour
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups black currant jelly
- 10 ounces almond paste (optional)
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted before meas
- 4 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk, hot
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- For Dough:.
- In a large pot melt butter, sugar and honey over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Mix baking powder with flour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease a large baking sheet (12x14 inch).
- When honey mixture is lukewarm add eggs, cocoa, spices, rum and flour. Stir well.
- Spread about 5/8 inch thick on baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- For filling:.
- When gingerbread has cooled cut into 1 inch squares. Split those horizontally and fill with jelly. Turn the filled squares upside down and spread sides and surface thinnly with jelly, too. Let jelly dry.
- Optionally roll almond paste to 1/8 inch thickness between cling film and cut into 1 inch squares. Fill gingerbread with this, too.
- For glaze:.
- Mix sifted powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix in hot milx first, then melted shortening. Stir well. Keep warm over hot water in necessary.
- Glaze gingerbread squares and let dry.