Recipe by mermaidmagic
This was the orginal bean dish my colleague Dominic brought to the office that started a bean cook-off with us. These were so darn good with crusty bread. Prep/cook time does not include time to soak beans. I've also made these with canned cannellini to reduce cooking time drastically.
Top Review by Sharon123
I put the beans in the crockpot and cooked them on low overnight and they turned out nice and soft. The flavors were very nice. I used dried sage, about 1/2 tsp.I halved the recipe but used about 1 1/2 cups tomatoes. This cooked down to a nice thick dish. Thanks Mermaid!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb dried white bean
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve with.
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse, then soak beans overnight in large pan full of water.
- The next day, drain and add fresh water.
- Be sure to cover beans with at least 3 inches of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Immediately lower heat and gently simmer until tender, adding more water as necessary.
- (This may take 3- 4 hrs).
- Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- When hot, add garlic and sage.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic begins to brown.
- Add beans, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook approximately 30 minutes, until very thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with grated cheese.