Recipe by CookingLulu
This recipe found at Aunt Clara's Kitchen. I've used this recipe changing the filling. I've also increased ingredients and more for parties. These can be made ahead of time and frozen till needed. If you freeze, allow them to thaw before deep frying. Can also exchange meat for shredded cheese or fruit jellies/jams for a quick dessert. Hope you enjoy.
- 10 ounces frozen flour rounds (i.e. Don Pepe, can be found in latin stores freezer section)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (beef, pork,or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 leaves coriander, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small red onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- green olives (optional)
- raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions and the green pepper into very small cubes.
- In shallow pan, heat two teaspoons of oil, add onions, chicken or meat, and the green peppers, stir. Add the black pepper, coriander, and tomato paste. Let simmer at very low heat until all liquid has evaporated. Reserve.
- Mix all the dry ingredients first, then add the water and mix well. Mix everything with hands on a slightly floured surface until mixed well, don't knead the dough (add some flour if too sticky). Let dough rest for 10 minutes covered in plastic film.
- On lightly floured surface roll out dough, cut out circles of about 4 inches in diameter.
- Before using the filling you can add some raisins and/or some sliced olives, mix into meat. Put a teaspoon of chicken or meat in the center, fold over in a semi-circle and seal the border pressing it with a fork (for better results, wet finger with water and lightly coat the edges of the lower half of circle then use fork, this creates a tighter seal).
- Deep fry the pastelitos and drain excess oil on a paper towel before serving.