1/3 Photos of Dominican Moro De Habichuelas Negras ( Rice and Beans)
Kitty Kat Cook's Note:
Similar to Puerto Rican and Cuban, rice and beans. This is the version from the Dominican Republic. This is a staple dish for Christmas. We also make the same with red kidney beans. Try to boil your own beans instead of using the canned type. I find it makes a great difference. Just put about 2-3 cups of raw beans in 4-5 cups of water and boil over very low heat for 4-6 hours until the bean can be easily be squeezed between your fingers. Then you can freeze or refrigerate them in its own water. When using them for the rice use the same water they were boiled in, much more flavorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml rice
- 946.36 ml water (the water you boiled the beans in if possible)
- 236.59 ml cooked black beans
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml tomato paste (not sauce)
- 59.14 ml cubanel green peppers or 59.14 ml green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, mashed (or pressed)
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro (with stem)
- 4.92 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 chicken stock cube
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the garlic, onions, oregano, pepper, parsley, and salt. Sautee for a minute then add the bouillon, stir until dissolved. Add the tomato paste and stir until heated.
- 2Add the beans and stir with your base. Heat for about a minute stirring constantly. Don't let it stick or burn. Increase heat to maximum and carefully add 1 cup of the water and allow it to simmer. When it starts to simmer, add the rice, stir and add the rest of the water. (at this point you should test for salt, it should be a bit saltier than you'd prefer because the beans and rice will absorb most of it). Bring to a boil.
- 3When it starts to boil reduce heat to the lowest possible and cover with a lid.
- 4After 15 minutes remove the lid, most of the water should have been reduced. Throw in the whole spring of cilantro and give everything a good stir from bottom to top. Cover again and let it cook for 10-15 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dominican Moro De Habichuelas Negras ( Rice and Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 645.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g