Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Best frosting ever!! In my country all cakes are topped with meringue frosting. It is not hard like the meringue cookies, it is so soft and fluffy, you will love it!! Don't turn off your mixer throughout the entire mixing process.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (for the caramel)
- 1⁄2 cup water (for the caramel)
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted (confectioner's)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Prepare the caramel by boiling water and sugar over low heat, when it starts making thick, sticky bubbles, it has reached a caramel consistency. It'll be a light yellow color. Don't let it burn! (Careful this kind of caramel burns like melted plastic).
- While the caramel cooks, in a glass bowl whisk the egg whites at high speed until it forms peaks.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until it is all mixed.
- Continue to whisk and add the salt and cream of tartar.
- Very slowly add the caramel into the meringue until it is all well mixed.
Dominican Frosting is by far the worst!
I am Dominican and have had hundreds of dominican cakes with this type of frosting, this was quite authentic and not hard to make ..... I used only half a pound of sugar as I think the 2.5 lbs will be too sweet for my taste. It was also way too much for a small cake... Next time I will only make half the recipe. Thank you!
This recipe was delicious! I once tried a Dominican cake and fell in love with the sugary frosting. I followed the recipe exactly. It was very easy to make too, which made it that much more amazing! Great recipe! I hope everyone can try to make Suspiro sometime! It will not disappoint!