Recipe by Kitty Kat Cook
Best frosting ever!! In my country all cakes are topped with meringue frosting. It is not hard like the meringue cookies, it is so soft and fluffy, you will love it!! Don't turn off your mixer throughout the entire mixing process.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (for the caramel)
- 1⁄2 cup water (for the caramel)
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted (confectioner's)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the caramel by boiling water and sugar over low heat, when it starts making thick, sticky bubbles, it has reached a caramel consistency. It'll be a light yellow color. Don't let it burn! (Careful this kind of caramel burns like melted plastic).
- While the caramel cooks, in a glass bowl whisk the egg whites at high speed until it forms peaks.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until it is all mixed.
- Continue to whisk and add the salt and cream of tartar.
- Very slowly add the caramel into the meringue until it is all well mixed.