Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Calypso chicken is made through out the Caribbean. This is the traditaionl Dominica (not Dominican Republic) style. From dominica-weekly.com Cooking time includes time to marinade
- 3 lbs chicken
- 1⁄4 lb cashew nuts
- 6 slices ginger
- 3 green onions
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- oil (for frying)
- Cut up chicken in pieces and wash in cold water with a piece of lemon.
- Rinse well in cold water and place in a large bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper one clove garlic (crushed), vinegar and thyme. Allow to marinate for 3 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat margarine and add sugar; when very hot, brown chicken.
- In another fry pan, heat some oil and fry cashews and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry together the garlic, mushrooms, onions and ginger.
- Add wine and about ¼ cup water to the original cooking skillet.
- Add chicken and cook for about 25 minute until chicken is tender.
- Thicken with a little flour softened with some warm water.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cashew nuts and serve.
Loved this chicken -what not to love combining all our favorite ingredients with chicken! Not only great tasting it has wow appeal when it comes to presentation. Other than being very genereous with the mushrooms I made as posted making for a wonderful meal - would give you more stars if I could! Thank you for sharing. A recipenap for the Aus/NZ recipe swap # 30.
I gave it a 4 because the recipe didn't say exactly what to do with some of the ingredients, the finished product was nice, and I loved the mushrooms! Made for the Aus/NZ recipeswap #30 July 2009 :-)
Yummy! I kept to the written recipe, except I substituted the alcohol content with chicken stock. I used red wine vinegar, (for the vinegar content) wasn't sure which type to use but it seem to work nicely. Only criticism I have of the written recipe was it was a bit vague. I purchased on the bone chicken thighs and drumsticks, but after making the recipe I wished I used diced thighs. I would have preferred a better preparation description for the other ingredients. Example: "mushroom, sliced or chopped". It would have also been easier if the ingredient list was in order of the written recipe. However having to say all this, the flavour was very nice and marinating the chicken in vinegar, made the chicken more tender. Served it with Polenta - Thank you Az G