Recipe by Az B
Calypso chicken is made through out the Caribbean. This is the traditaionl Dominica (not Dominican Republic) style. From dominica-weekly.com Cooking time includes time to marinade
Top Review by Gerry
Loved this chicken -what not to love combining all our favorite ingredients with chicken! Not only great tasting it has wow appeal when it comes to presentation. Other than being very genereous with the mushrooms I made as posted making for a wonderful meal - would give you more stars if I could! Thank you for sharing. A recipenap for the Aus/NZ recipe swap # 30.
- 3 lbs chicken
- 1⁄4 lb cashew nuts
- 6 slices ginger
- 3 green onions
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up chicken in pieces and wash in cold water with a piece of lemon.
- Rinse well in cold water and place in a large bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper one clove garlic (crushed), vinegar and thyme. Allow to marinate for 3 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat margarine and add sugar; when very hot, brown chicken.
- In another fry pan, heat some oil and fry cashews and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry together the garlic, mushrooms, onions and ginger.
- Add wine and about ¼ cup water to the original cooking skillet.
- Add chicken and cook for about 25 minute until chicken is tender.
- Thicken with a little flour softened with some warm water.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cashew nuts and serve.