Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are very rich, gooey brownies. My family loves them as much refrigerated or frozen as they do warm over homemade ice cream. I use my home ground soft white wheat for this (I do pack it down a little in the measuring cup b/c it is very fluffy). But all purpose or half all purpose with half store bought whole wheat work too.
- 1 2⁄3 cups unsalted butter
- 13 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a heavy pan or over a double boiler. Stir frequently.
- While chocolate is melting, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together.
- In another bowl measure the flour and stir in the salt.
- Cool the chocolate mixture only slightly (or if you are using whole wheat, don't cool at all), and beat into egg mixture.
- Add the flour (and nuts). Beat until smooth.
- Put right into the oven. Bake aprox. 25 minutes. (possibly longer for all purpose flour). These are supposed to be very gooey, especially in the center, so check carefully and do not overbake or they'll lose their unique richness. They will continue to cook as they are cooling.