Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Originally from "The Original Thai Cookbook" by Jennifer Brennan Beef, cut into thin strips, or firm white fish may be substituted for the chicken.
- 5 cups coconut milk
- 1 whole chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 stalks lemongrass, bruised and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground galangal or 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 -6 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 limes, juice of
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- Bring coconut milk to a boil.
- Add chicken, lemongrass and ginger.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add onions, cilantro and chillies; bring heat up to just below the boiling point.
- Remove pan from heat, add remaining ingredients, and serve.