Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe came from a WE-energy cookbook, submitted by an employee.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter or 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Combine shortening, peanut butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix until well blended.
- Blend in reserved dry ingredients, stir in coconut. Batter will be very stiff.
- Spread batter into a well-greased 13x9x2in baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degree for 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut into bars when completely cool.
These went over pretty well at our house. One member doesn't like coconut but managed to "choke" down 3 cookies (back to back). I don't know if my coconut was old or what, but felt these were just a tad dry. Will try again with fresher coconut. Recipe was easy to follow and what's not to love about bar cookies? Made for PAC Fall 2008.