Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A recipe from the recently opened Zeytoon Persian cafe in Newcastle -shared by chef Babak ‘Bob’ Abbaszadeh. It's vegetarian and gluten-free. Serves 6
- 6 medium red capsicums (bell peppers)
- 200 g basmati rice
- 200 g mushrooms (optional)
- 100 g split peas (soaked overnight)
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch coriander
- 9.85 ml tarragon (dried is accepted)
- 1 bunch shallot
- 400 g can crushed tomatoes
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml vegetable stock
- 9.85 ml turmeric
- salt and pepper
- Soak split peas in water overnight.
- Cook the split peas for about 20 mins with turmeric and enough water to cover.
- Cook the rice in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Chop all the herbs and add to pan with half-cooked split peas and rice, and add stock.
- Chop the mushrooms and add to the mixture.
- Cut a circle in the top of the capsicums and remove the seeds.
- Stuff the capsicums with the cooked mixture.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil onto a baking tray and place the capsicum in the tray.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes and half a cup of water over the capsicums.
- Place the tray in oven at 200°C for about 40 minutes Bon appetit!