Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tried these for the first time at the local Gyros shop. Sammy did such a good job I had to try and make them myself. Here is a recipe that I felt was closest. They make great appetizers as well as main courses.
- 1 pint grape leaves
- 2 lbs ground beef (or 1 lb ground beef and 1 pound ground pork)
- sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, grated
- 2 -3 green onions
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1⁄2 cup dill
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Rinse grape leaves with water and cut the stem. Sauté onions with olive oil and add ground beef, pepper, and salt.
- Cook for a few minutes and then add parsley, dill, and rice. Turn off heat.
- Place one teaspoon filling in center of grape leaf with the ribbed side up. Fold bottom leaf up and then sides over the bottom, and roll into a narrow roll. Line them in a baking pan and arrange dolmades in layers. Warm up the chicken broth. Pour over grape leaves. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. I prefer them served with Tzatziki sauce.
- See Recipe #10750 for a good Tzatziki sauce recipe.