Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Wonderful appetizer/hors d ouvres that will feed a crowd.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (comes with a seasoning packet)
- 8 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves (about 50 grape leaves)
- chopped parsley
- lemon wedge
- Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat 10 minutes until golden.
- Stir in rice and seasoning packet, tomato sauce and water. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer over low heat 25 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in salt, pepper, parsley, lemon juice, and pine nuts.
- Rinse grape leaves in cold water and dry thoroughly. Place leaves rib side down.
- Place heaping teaspoon of filling in center of leaf.
- Fold both sides over to center. Fold over one end and roll up.
- Arrange in 2-quart casserole, seam side down. Add 2 cups water. Weight stuffed leaves with plate.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Refrigerate until chilled (leave plate on).
- Remove from water. Serve cold with parsley and lemon wedges.