Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
These are stuffed grape leaves. The recipe comes from a parent ant my children's school.
- grape leaves
- 1 3⁄4 cups rice
- 5 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 2 small onions, grated
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dill
- 1 tomatoes or 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon, heaping
- 2 lemons, divided
- in a frying pan sautee onion until transluscent.
- add rice and 1 teaspoons salt.
- stir to coat.
- add ground beef.
- when meat is browned add 1 cup water.
- when water is absorbed, add dill, tomato, 1/2c. olive oil and parmesan.
- stir to combine.
- set aside.
- combine 4 1/2 cups water, chicken boullion, 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 cup olive oil and juice of 1/2 lemon.
- To assemble the dolmades:.
- on a flat board arrange leaves (stem side up).
- place 1 teaspoon of filling on each leaf.
- lightly fold and roll, allowing room for rice to expand.
- place leftover or broken grape leaves in the bottom of large pot.
- tightly pack the dolmades into pot, using multiple layers if necessary.
- when all dolmades are in the pot, pour juice over top.
- cover with more grape leaves.
- place upside down plate on top to prevent dolmades from opening.
- bring to a boil, then simmer until tender (approximate 1 hour).
- when done, let sit for 10 minutes then genlty remove to platter.
- combine portion of juice with juice of 1 1/2 lemons.
- pour over dolmades.