1 hr 10 mins
This is a special occasion dish. We make this during Ramadan. My husband bases this on a version from "Great Book of Couscous". The potatoes and zucchini must be a certain size for this to work well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 zucchini (each about 7 inches long)
- 2 potatoes (each about 4 inches long)
- 1/2 lb ground beef or 1/2 lb lamb
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb lamb shank, in 4 pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Peel the zucchini and potatoes.
- 2Chop the stem off the zucchinis.
- 3Chop the potatoes and zucchini in half short ways so now you have 4 zucchini pieces, each about 3 inches long and 4 potato pieces, each about 2 inches long.
- 4Carefully scoop out the inside of each zucchini piece, leaving a wall about 1/4 inch thick around. Discard the scooped out part.
- 5Carefully scoop out each potato in the same manner but save the scooped out portion.
- 6Mix together the ground meat, 1 tablespoon of parsley, rice, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 7Stuff the meat mixture into the potatoes and zucchini, loosely.
- 8Heat oil in large pan and saute onion and lamb together.
- 9Add the water and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- 10Add the chick peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 11Put the stuffed vegetables in the sauce along with the reserved potato pieces. Cook covered for 1/2 hour.
- 12Remove from heat and add lemon juice and 1 tbsp parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolma (Algerian Stuffed Vegetables)
Serving Size: 1 (632 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.9
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 187.0 mg
- Sodium 1112.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 47.5 g