Recipe by CindiJ
My Mother makes THE BEST pies of anybody I know. She found this recipe in the KC Star many, many years ago and it has become her signature pie/cobbler dough. Fresh lard from the butcher is what makes this "The Ultimate" pie dough recipe.
Top Review by Snowpeas
Excellent pie crust! I always use lard in my crusts as it makes the crust so flaky. I hadn't used this particular recipe before, but I really like it and think that it will become my standard. Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups lard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water, iced
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Cut in lard until fine crumbs appear. DO NOT OVER DO THIS STEP.
- In separate bowl mix together the beaten egg, vinegar and cold water (the colder the better). Add this to the above dry crumb mixture and bring dough together in a ball form.
- Remove from bowl and shape into large disc shape. Double wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Unwrap and place disc on lightly floured board. Cut into 4 wedges and re-wrap 2 wedges and return to refrigerator.
- Roll dough out to desired size and continue with your pie.
- This freezes wonderfully for future use. If you do freeze, make sure to double wrap and place in a freezer bag. Try to use within 8 weeks for best results. If you store in refrigerator, use within a week.