Recipe by Dee514
Posted in reply to a message board request for a "Dolly Vardens Cake recipe." Other than fish recipes, I did find one recipe in my file cabinet for a "Dolly Varden" cake. To be honest, I can't recall if I've ever made the cake, and I don't know where I got the recipe from (its hand written on a piece of very yellowed paper....at the top it says "from the 1922 cookbook"). Here it is:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup soft unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup currants, plumped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped citron
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the bottom of two 8 inch square or a 9 inch round baking pans with waxed paper.
- Butter the sides of the pans.
- Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with baking powder and salt.
- Beat egg yolks, and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, and set aside.
- Cream butter, and add sugar slowly; cream well.
- Add beaten egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add sifted flour mixture alternately with milk in 4-5 portions, beginning and ending with flour; beat until smooth after each addition.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Divide batter into 2 equal portions.
- Add vanilla to one portion, stirring just enough to mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- To the remaining half of the batter, add the fruits and spices, and stir just enough to mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into the second prepared pan.
- Bake layers in a 350 degree oven, the white layer 30 minutes, the dark layer 35 minutes.
- Cool in pans on wire racks about 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Place spice layer on plate, and cover with a buttercream icing.
- Place white layer on top, cover top and sides of cake with buttercream icing.
- Slice with a very sharp knife.