1/1 Photo of Dolly Varden Cake
Perfect Pixie's Note:
The cake of my childhood--this gets a smile on any little girls face. This is what I looked forward to most, more than the presents, and my mummy always did such a great job of it. This is out of the New Zealand Edmonds cookbook. Mummy said this is where she got it from.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 225 g butter, softened
- 225 g sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 275 g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50 g chopped pitted dates or 50 g raisins
- 50 g cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs and milk alternatively with sifted flour and baking powder.
- 2Divide mixture into three parts.
- 3Stir dates, cherries and cinnamon into one part.
- 4Stir lemon essence into second part.
- 5Stir cocoa and vanilla essence into third part.
- 6Transfer each mixture into separate greased 20cm round sandwich tins that have a base lined with baking paper.
- 7Bake at 190°C for about 25 minutes.
- 8When cold, place part one layer onto plate.
- 9Spread with icing.
- 10Cut other two layers into 4 triangles and then "cement" together on cake to make the dolls dress with the doll in the middle.
- 11Cover the rest of the dress so you cannot see the lines.
- 12Decorate how you wish.
- 13BUTTER ICING:.
- 14Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- 15Add essence.
- 16Gradually beat in icing sugar, beating until smooth.
- 17Add sufficient water to give a smooth spreading consistency.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dolly Varden Cake
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.4
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 120.0 mg
- Sodium 278.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 41.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: