Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From her cookbook: Dolly's Dixie Fixings.
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 head garlic, whole head, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 6 small Red Bliss potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 lb kielbasa (precooked variety) or 1 lb chorizo sausage, sliced (precooked variety)
- 4 small white onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 ears corn, shucked and silk removed
- 1 lb raw shrimp, shell-on
- melted butter (optional)
- Bring a large kettle of water to a boil. If you're making enough for 8 people, about 5 quarts of water will work.
- Squeeze the lemons into the water and add the rinds, the garlic, bay leaves, Old Bay Seasoning, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, raise the heat, and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are not quite trender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage and onions and return the pot to a boil.
- When the potatoes are almost fork-tender, add the corn and return to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and cook just 2 minutes until the shrimp turn pink.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the broth per person into a heatproof pitcher and drain the rest through a large colander, discarding the liquid and the bay leaves.
- Pour the reserved broth into a few bowls to set on the table for dipping.
- Arrange the shrimp, sausages, and vegetables on a large platter.
- Serve with melted butter, if desired.