Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My friend Anthony gave me this recipe. It is served at Dolly parton's Dixie Stampede
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup canned mixed vegetables
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a 3-quart sauce pot, melt margarine. Add onion, garlic, and corn syrup. Simmer 1 minute. Do NOT brown.
- Add flour, white pepper, salt, chicken broth, water, and vegetables. Simmer 3 minutes.
- Add half-and-half. Simmer until desired consistency. Stir constantly – do NOT bring to boil.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
OK. So I made this soup once basically per the recipe and it was perfect. Next time I substituted vegetable broth in place of the chicken and water (trying to serve it to a vegetarian) and although it tastes the same the soup is a darker color. So next time I will stick to chicken broth and make something else for the vegetarian. Oh, I also have no corn syrup so I just used sugar. The recipe doesn't say to drain the canned vegetables, but I did.
love this!! it is a weekly meal at our house....we love the Dixie stamped and i also found the cheese bread recipe that goes with this soup its AWESOME