Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another celebrity recipe from my collection. I have never heard of October beans, but the University of Tennessee has this to say: "Horticultural beans, known as shelly or October beans, are grown on a limited acreage in Tennessee."
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 (1 ounce) cans pork and beans or 5 cups october beans
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef, onions and pepper in a 10" skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
I tripled this recipe and took it to a potluck. I came home with an empty pot and requests for the recipe. Easy and tasty. I did cut back on the mustard a bit, but followed the rest to a T.
Just wondering why they are using beef ???
These are great I made them tonight.I did leave out the onions and bell pepper My husband can't have them.I did add 2 cups of ketchup sound like a lot I know but they were mighty good!! OH and I use 3 11oz cans of pork and beans.